Quality Control Inspector
Reports To:Director of Quality
FLSA Status:Non- Exempt
Date Listed:September 22, 2021
Select Contact email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description and Duties
Responsible for dimensional inspections, control and maintenance of the calibration system, and the status of inspection/test instruments. Quality Control personnel are additionally qualified to perform surveillance, in-house testing, and NDE examinations for compliance of materials and processes to Code requirements. QC inspectors report directly to the Director of Quality.
• Perform product inspection, including machined parts requiring the use of close tolerance instruments such as CMM, Optical Comparator, and other gages.
• Identify quality problems through product inspection.
• Initiate, recommend, or provide solutions to identified quality problems.
• Report accurate results in a clear, legible and complete manner on the required forms.
• Verify implementation of solutions to quality problems.
• Control further processing, delivery, etc. of a non-conforming item deficiency or unsatisfactory condition until proper disposition has been made.
• Have a working knowledge of metrology (gage calibration requirements, concepts and techniques)
• Set-up and operate a CMM
• Have a working knowledge and understanding of the Energy Steel QA Manual, Standard Operating Procedures, and ASME Code
• Ability to interpret international standards, such as ASTM, ANSI, SAE, etc. A working knowledge of ASME code is highly desired.
• Maintain Gage Calibration Maintenance System.
• Calibrate gages.
• Procurement support (both requests-for-quote and purchase orders).
• Perform receipt Inspections.
• Interpret Vendor PO and associated drawing and specification requirements.
• Interpret work instructions (Work Order/Traveler).
• Selection of suitable inspection equipment with the required range and accuracy.
• Verification that shipping documents match material/item received.
• Selection of sampling plan in accordance with Q7.1 and Work Order instruction.
• Performance of dimensional/visual inspections.
• Clear and legible reporting of inspection results.
• Tagging and marking material/item, clearly indicating inspection status.
• Release of material/item to next step on traveler work instruction.
• In-process Inspections.
• Source Inspection, including professional conduct at vendor facility.
• Assist other departments in response to Quality questions as may be required.
• Develop Job Specific Instructions and Procedures.
• Emergency after-hours QC Department support as necessary.
• Assist the Director of Quality during customer audits and inspections.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High School education (2-year technical degree preferred).
• 3-5 years of manual machining, quality control inspection or equivalent measurement experience.
• Proficient using both a CMM and manual hand gages (micrometers, calipers, indicators, gage blocks).
• Basic understanding of the quality audit process including types of audits, planning, preparation, execution, reporting results and follow-up.
• Fundamental understanding of a quality system and its development, documentation and implementation to domestic and international standards or requirements.
• Ability to read & interpret engineering drawings, standards and specifications.
• Expected local travel for supplier surveillance.
• Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the Internet.
• Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
• Detail oriented, organized and highly motivated.