Reports To:Shop Foreman
Date Listed:June 29, 2023
Select Contact email:email@example.com
The Welder/Fabricator position is a working shop position at Energy Steel. This person must have a working knowledge and understanding of material fabrication methods, welding, heat treating, nondestructive examination, metal roll forming, cutting, machining, and other fundamental practices common to the metal fabrication industry. They must be able to successfully pass various welding performance qualification tests as directed by the Welding Engineer. The welder/fabricator must demonstrate a strong ability to read, understand, and interpret blueprints and be capable of demonstrating an understanding of standard measuring tools.
Job Description and Duties
• Fabrication Responsibilities as supervised by the Shop Foreman.
• Welding responsibilities as supervised by the Welding Engineer.
• Efficient completion of assigned fabrication projects with minimal supervision.
• Review of Shop Traveler, drawings and Welding Procedure Specification(s) for understanding of requirements and awareness of hold points.
• Assuring all material to be used in fabrication is correct, identified and properly released for fabrication before proceeding with further processing.
• Self-checking or requesting peer verification to assure all measurements are correct before cutting or further processing.
• Preparation of parts for fit-up may include, but is not limited to; cutting various metal types to size/shape with the use of oxy-fuel or plasma torches, band saws, grinders, drill press, Bridgeport, or lathe.
• Properly fit, tack, and weld fabrications as required.
• Perform general tasks as directed, such as bolted assemblies, simple machining, fixture building, or cleaning and other shop duties.
• Adherence to the Energy Steel Welding Procedure Specification and Welding Program Manual requirements.
• Documenting all steps within the Weld Data Record, Shop Traveler or other required process control documents.
• Assuring only authorized filler metals are utilized and traceability is maintained.
• Notification of Management in the event a nonconforming condition is inadvertently created or observed.
• Proficient in the operation of facility equipment, machinery and tools to include saws, fork trucks, cranes, drill presses, etc.
• Processing of material in accordance with the operations procedures, i.e. burning and sawing.
• Proficient in marking material in accordance with company policies and procedures.
• Demonstrates proper use of all safety guidelines.
• Weigh or count items for distribution within plant to ensure conformance to company standards and job traveler instructions.
• Compliance and working knowledge of applicable quality, engineering and operations procedures.
• Maintaining a mindset of safety and quality above all else.
• Participate in monthly departmental meetings.
• Other duties as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of his job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Employee may work near moving mechanical parts.
• Employee will be exposed to shop elements such as heat, noise, dust, fumes and odors.
• Employee may be required to lift and carry items up to 50 pounds.
• Employee will be required to wear appropriate PPE, including but not limited to gloves, safety glasses, safety shoes, and hearing protection.
• 3-5 years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must be capable of successfully implementing the GTAW, GMAW and FCAW processes (as a minimum) and also have an operational proficiency in the methods of Oxyfuel Torch-cutting and Plasma Arc cutting.
• May be required to pass a 6G GTAW super coupon test and a 6G GMAW/FCAW 6” pipe test.
• A working knowledge of standard machine shop tooling and equipment is preferred including, but not limited to safe operation of a Bridgeport, drill press, band saw, grinder, etc.
• Ability to read & interpret engineering drawings, standards and specifications.
• Ability to utilize available resources effectively to solve problems as they occur.
• A highly motivated self-starter that works well without supervision.